Population by County Census Year

Any discussion about any census for any area

Moderator: LisaJC

ChristopherD

Population by County Census Year

Post by ChristopherD » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:20 am

Good Morning,

Another bright and cold morning out there. The milk man delivered double cream in a bottle this morning - a first for us, even though we've had milk in bottles for many years. This may become a permanent change for us - stopping a few plastic pots being made.

That's nothing to do with my query!

I'm attempting to calculate the frequency of my surnames across the counties/censuses. I've extracted the counts by county/census - but now need the populations of the counties at each census. My searches have only turned-up data for the 1901 and 1911 Censuses - in Hansard of all places. I have tried searching using various keywords and phrases with no luck.

Has anyone found/seen summary table of populations by census/county? Or, where I should be looking?

Many thanks and stay safe,

Christopher
Suzie Woodward

Re: Population by County Census Year

Post by Suzie Woodward » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:09 am

Hallo Christopher,
Try this for starters. https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/
It could lead to other sites too.

Suzie
Jacqui

Post by Jacqui » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 pm

And also here:
https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/
Delve deeper into it by place (or county).
There is a site with all the tables from the census published reports...when I remember it, will post link!!
Jacqui
ChristopherD

Post by ChristopherD » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:03 am

Good Morning Suzie and Jacqui,

Thank you both for your leads.

I've looked at both of the sites this morning - the amount of data available is incredible. With some extraction of the data from each county where the Dallison/Darlison clan lived I will be able to calculate the frequency and % of the surnames. I'm lucky that the total numbers of individuals is low and the number of counties where they lived is small.

I can go back to this project now I can access the data.

Stay safe,

Christopher
Jacqui

Post by Jacqui » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:23 am

You really are keeping extremely busy in these changed times! I remember working through the last major Foot & Mouth epidemic. Being a rural organisation, much stopped and I was not out for meetings, and so on. But the extra time at home enabled me to concentrate on my OU course!! There is always a plus somewhere...

Jacqui
Suzie Woodward

Post by Suzie Woodward » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:56 am

Hallo Christopher,

You might like to try this too. The web archive at The National Archives has a fascinating document covering all of Warwickshire. There are charts and graphs on many topics: e.g. the number of households in 1951 with or without piped water, baths, sinks, and cooking stoves; occupation graphs showing a huge drop 1851-1951 of agricultural workers and graphs showing key occupations. For those with a love of numbers and statistics, it’s worth a look. webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.co.uk-warwickshire_tcm77-181796pdf.

Good luck!
Suzie
ChristopherD

Post by ChristopherD » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:58 am

Hi Suzie,

This sounds as if it will be of interest.

It's like being back at work - so much to do so little time! I've lost an hour this morning.

The three months will go very quickly - a very kind neighbour is ensuring we are supplied with fresh food.

I've redesigned the spreadsheet to take all this extra data from all the censuses - I've just got to extract the data now.

Kind regards,

Christopher