Polesworth lies 3 miles north-west of Atherstone
Abbey Church of St Editha
Congregational Church (built 1828)
A Norman Abbey was founded in Polesworth in 827 but only traces remain. The church is approached through the abbey gateway. Pooley Hall was built in 1509 and is one of the oldest brick built buildings in the county. The village grew rapidly after the canal was completed in 1790. The ancient parish of Polesworth originally included Warton (to 1849) and Dordon (to 1933) and a part of the area went to form Wilnecote in 1856. Opencast mining was the main occupation in Polesworth for many years. In early 19th century, Polesworth had one of the largest hiring fairs in the country. Nowadays it has a huge open market on bank holidays.
© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009