War Memorials – Arley

Arley War Memorial is situated beside the entrance to St Wilfrid’s churchyard in Old Arley.

The inscription on the memorial reads as follows:

To the Glory of God and in memory of the men of Arley who fell in the Great War 1914-1919. They gave their lives that we might live.

St Michael’s Church in New Arley was paid for by George Fowler, owner of Arley Colliery, and built as a memorial to his son, George Herbert Fowler who was managing director of the colliery. In WWI he served as a Lieutenant Colonel with the Sherwood Foresters in France. He was killed trying to rescue a fellow officer near German lines.

Photo/photos and Excel list of names needed.